Thursday, August 6, 2009

Instead of cleaning the basement, I'm blogging

Wanna make something of it?

Speaking of blogging, two books I am currently reading evolved from blogs -- Julie and Julia and Mason-Dixon 2. (Perhaps a publisher will want to make a book out of my blog. The book will be called Sweet Songs: A Messy Crafty Mimi. It is sure to be a best seller to people who like to look at pictures of our grandsons.) I have yet to knit anything from this MD, but it is a great read -- Kay and Ann just crack me up (need proof? Watch the video below). I want them to be my friends. Maybe I need to stalk them on Facebook.*


Speaking of competitive knitting (which they do on page 102), the big purple rosette winner at our fair this year was an intricate lace shawl, made by one of our Knit Nighters, Kathy. (I think it was a pattern from Meg Swansen's A Gathering of Lace.) She brought her shawl to Knit Night for 2 years, and if anyone deserves the big purple ribbon, it's Kathy. Way to go, chica.

Speaking of shawls, look at this:
I pretended to take a picture of the bride and groom at the wedding we attended Saturday night, but I was really sneaking a picture of this shawl. It's a crocheted triangle -- I think I could re-create this, don't you? It's sparkly, and I count about 9 different colors, plus the black that joins the motifs. I don't much care for sparkly yarns, as they are usually rough and fiddly, but I think I could make a sacrifice for this shawl. And, since it is so airy, I am guessing that you could probably get 2 or 3 shawls out of one yarn purchase. I will keep you posted as to my progress, but if anyone has any great ideas about yarn, patterns, etc., please pass them on.


Speaking of the wedding, I ought to include a picture:

Kammi and Nathaniel. Their reception was at a vintage car/WW II museum -- definitely the most educational reception we have ever been to. Kammi's mom said, "What do you expect from a homeschooling family?" And -- news flash -- Clay danced. And there wasn't any beer at the reception. I know. He even attempted the ChaCha Slide. No beer. Really.

Speaking of beer, I think I will have one after I work in the basement for a few hours. A Rolling Rock, not that other swill that is in the refrigerator. Word to the wise: be very wary Sports Illustrated articles that tout "Beer of the Month" as a great Father's Day gift.

Peace.

*And speaking of Facebook, I think I love it, and I didn't think I would. I just have to set the timer on my stove so I don't hang out there all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment