As promised, here are the things I made for the annual auction:
The backing is a piece I've had for a few years -- "hello" in many languages -- and the binding is a Russian-inspired print.
Speaking of Russia, this babushka quilt is my own design, too. When Clay goes to Russia, he brings home vodka and matryoshka dolls, which I just love (the dolls, not the vodka). The fruit fabric in this quilt is a collection I've had for probably 10 years; I had planned on doing a basket block with each of the fruit designs, but never got around to that -- so, the fabric was perfect for this quilt, and I wish I had another 1/2 yard of each so I could make another quilt just like this one!
Each of the dolls has a little pocket, and I embroidered their mouths and french knot eyes, then added a little colored pencil blush on their cheeks.
I added a strip-pieced strip (!) on the back for a little color, then quilted in lots and lots of curly-q's -- I didn't quilt over the doll appliques, though -- I'm not sure if I should have or not. Hmmm. I need a lot more practice with free-motion quilting, but was happy with how these first attempts turned out.
Yet another stocking in the Cascade pattern:
For the dessert auction, I made our famous Pinkalicous cupcakes.