Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lenten Give and Take -- 40 Bags in 40 Days

So have you heard of this 40 Bags in 40 Days program?  Lots of bloggers are talking about it -- look here for an example.  It's a way to de-clutter your home, 1 bag of  stuff at a time, 40 days in a row.

I think it's a fantastic idea for those who have stick-to-it-tiveness, which as you know, I don't.  I also believe that clearing your home of clutter is a pathway to peace -- at least that's what I try to tell the people I live with.

I think I am going to try this, in my own inconsistent way.  It may not happen 40 times during Lent, and you know I wouldn't be able to stick to a  cool chart, but I think I have a plan.

In my work, I visit Provisions food pantry and Anchor House Shelter at least once a week.  It really wouldn't be any big deal to take a bag of groceries with me each time I go.

My friends at Knit Night love sharing yarn -- taking a plastic sack of yarn with me each time we meet during Lent will significantly reduce my yarn inventory. (In the past, I had a bad habit of buying yarn without a specific project in mind, just because it was pretty or on sale.  I've gotten much better about this, but still have some  a lot to share!)

I have some books to put in a bag and take to the Friends of the Library book sale.

I have a stack of Country Living and Martha magazines I could take to the Lutheran Home.

I could take a bag of cookies to my neighbors.

I should take a bag of coins (collected from the bottom of my purse and the floor of my car) to church to put in the Change Haiti collection.

And of course, if forced, I could clean something and take a bag of stuff to Goodwill.

A bagful of Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I am at church early so I read this post. I think both gay and I should do this this summer. Can't wait to see if she's game.

    ReplyDelete