Friday, September 28, 2007

Knitting a Quilt

Yesterday afternoon, the yarn for the Modern Quilt Wrap arrived. When I first saw this pattern in the Knitting Daily e-mail, I was fairly certain Mags Kandis had designed this just for me. Except for a few dishcloths and a So-Called Scarf, I never make anything for myself, but this is the perfect project for a knitter/quilter. I would have loved to use the yarn suggested in the model, Rowan Kid Silk Haze, but I'm fairly cheap when it comes to buying for myself. I asked for advice on the Knittyboard, and someone suggested Knit Picks Palette; it doesn't have the soft, fuzzy halo of the KSH, but it comes in colors very close to the original. I have always had such good luck with Knit Picks, and have been listening to their podcasts during my walks (Kelly has such a lovely podcasting voice, and I have learned so much after just 5 episodes.)
Last night, I knit up the first square. (I did not, however, weave in all the ends; I just tucked them underneath for the picture!)
Now that I understand the technique, I am going to go up a needle size (to an 8) and I am going to knit in the ends as I go, which is explained so well here.
Since Clay and Will are gone for the weekend, it would be wonderful to sit and knit on this for the next 3 days, watch some good movies, not shower and eat chocolate. But I have funerals and a wedding to play, the St. Theresa celebration to work on, Saturday night Mass, Sunday with the Methodists and (oh joy) it is my Sunday to work bingo -- but I know I can fit some knitting in there somewhere.
Peace

2 comments:

  1. I liked that pattern when I saw it in the book, but I LOVE the idea of doing it in Palette. And the colors on yours... it's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...it would be wonderful to sit and knit on this for the next 3 days, watch some good movies, not shower and eat chocolate."

    If I had been drinking coffee, I would have ruined the monitor when I read that! That is my dream weekend!

    ReplyDelete