Friday, October 26, 2012

Marriage for Everyone

Next month, Clay and I will celebrate 30 years of marriage.  Whew!

Seven or eight years ago, however, we figured out just how many days/weeks/months we had been apart, and I have to tell you, for a family that's non-military and non-long haul trucker, it was pretty amazing (or sad):  we had been apart more than 350 days.

I'm sure, if we tried to tally up again, it would A) be closer to two years and B) be nearly impossible to figure, since he has been gone so much more than he was when we counted the first time around.  (Plus, the things I'm involved in often take me away from home overnight, so I am also to blame.)

When he is gone, we do fine.  I know enough basic home/car/life maintenance that I can handle most everything (he's taught me well), or know when to call someone.

When he is gone, something wacky usually happens.  This time, I have already had a battle with the alarm clock, I have gone round and round with our bedroom ceiling fan (get it -- round and round?  How funny am I?) and our front door glass is broken AGAIN.  Bring on week 2!

(Watch out, it's about to get sappy.)

And when he is gone, I miss him.  Whether he is gone for a couple of nights to Canada, or for an extended trip to an exotic place, like his current travels in India, I miss him.

I miss him bringing my coffee up to my workroom every morning.  I miss him cleaning up my kitchen messes (I REALLY miss him cleaning up my kitchen messes!)  I miss hugs on the stairs.  I miss talking to him every day at lunchtime.  I miss sitting on the couch watching Bones and Amazing Race with him.  I miss laughing with him.  I miss everything about him, and long for the day he comes home.  He's my partner, my friend, my cheerleader, my shoulder to cry on, my co-parent and my butt kicker when I really need my butt kicked.  Being married to him is the greatest joy of my life.

I think everyone is entitled to that joy.


Where there is love, where there is devotion, where there is commitment, there is marriage.

It's fine with me if you don't agree with this -- I understand.
But to quote the cool kids, YOLO.  Find your joy and hold on to it.

Because love is love is love.
And peace is peace.

1 comment:

  1. awww. i, too, believe in marriage for everyone. especially for me. SO SOMEONE PLEASE MARRY ME ALREADY!!
    just kidding.
    beautiful blog. thank you for sharing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete