Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Frozen Pea Soup

The better name for this recipe would be "Oh my gosh, it's Market Day again and I need to clean out the freezer to have room and this time I have 6 bags of frozen peas" Pea Soup.  Cause that's how this recipe was invented last night.

Frozen Pea Soup


(Those are cookies, not soup crackers.  I realize that my last post was all about my joy in being married to Clay, but part of our joy is being slightly snarky with each other -- jabs about my height and general messiness, his intensity and ability to nap anywhere.  The fresh, homemade chocolate chip cookies in this picture have nothing to do with the soup, but everything to do with the fact that while he is enjoying the food in India, he is longing for a hamburger and other American favorites.  And might just read this blog post . . .)

2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 pound turkey smoked sausage, diced
1 bag Market Day frozen peas ( or 1 lb. any frozen peas)
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup low-fat evaporated milk (which sort of tastes like cream -- regular old milk works, too)

Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat.  Saute onion until soft; add sausage and cook until sausage has a little sear.  Remove sausage from the pot and add peas and chicken stock; cook until peas are nice and tender.   Remove about half of the peas to a blender (or to a bowl and use a stick blender) and add about 1 cup of the stock; blend until nice and smooth.  Return to the pot, add milk and sausage and cook until heated through.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I served this with a little dollop of sour cream (and cookies.)  Enjoy!

Peace.

PS  I have some other soup recipes on the blog, if you look for the "soup" label.

No comments:

Post a Comment