Friday, February 1, 2008

ketchup

- Laverne was right; Phantom on Sunday was the best I have seen. The chandelier didn't seem to fall as rapidly as I remember, but Will said it was exciting. Between the show, lunch and a stop at the bike shop, we had a great day.

- I abandoned The Friday Night Knitting Club and put it in the Goodwill pile. I just couldn't stand it anymore, and it would just be mean to pass it along to a friend. I did peek at the "shocking ending" people wrote about on Amazon.com, however. The ending only further convinced me that this is much less a novel and more a screenplay. Abby gave me A Thousand Splendid Suns for Christmas (I suspect her mother picked it out) and I think I will start it this weekend.

- I finished the orange shawl; Maggie said Nate's mom loved his hat and would like one, so I'm casting on for that today.

- It was painful, but I ripped out Tommy's sweater, and am looking for the perfect little hooded cardigan for him. Off to the library.

- Funny story. I witnessed a wreck after dropping Will off at school on Wednesday -- I'll get to the funny part in a moment. Girl #1 pulled out of the gas station and didn't see Girl #2 who ran right into her. Girl #1 drove a shiny new car; her bumper and fender shattered into a thousand little pieces all over the road (I suspect because it was bitterly cold). Girl #2 works for a rival gas station and was out checking prices (let's not even go into that); her older model car was wrinkled up accordian-style, but both girls were fine. I was on my way to Mass, but gave the girls my cell number. During Mass, I left my cell phone in the school kitchen; I was on my way back to the kitchen, talking to someone in the cafeteria, when I heard it ring. Our friend Doug, the school janitor and all-around goof, answered my phone with, "Georgiann's answering service," then after a few seconds said, "I'm sorry, she's pretty drunk, and I think she's been smoking a little pot this morning, too."

It was the police.

Luckily, the policeman was in my high school class and knows Doug, so after my initial mortification, it was all very funny.

Remind me not to leave my phone where Doug can get to it.


Some bloggers are great at regular themed postings -- work-in-progress Wednesdays, new yarn acquisitions on Fridays -- Jo posts a book report every week. I don't know how successful I will be, but I think I will try to post a recipe every Friday -- not so much for posterity, but to remind me of how I made something. I tend to make a dish differently every time because I forget to write down how I did it. This week, I made chicken chili, and Will said it was one of my best efforts. Clay just ate until his stomach hurt -- high praise, indeed.


White Chicken Chili

1 large white onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
8 c. chicken stock
4 cups cooked chicken (this time, I poached 5 Market Day Chickensteaks and shredded them)
2 jars of white beans
1 can diced green chilis
2 cans white whole kernel corn
3 T. diced jalapenos
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. white pepper
1 t. oregano
2 T. lime juice
2T. chopped cilantro

In the soup pot, saute the onion and garlic in about 2 T. olive oil until translucent. Add everything else except lime juice and cilantro, and bring to a near-boil, then turn down heat and simmer for about half an hour. Right before serving, stir in lime juice and cilantro. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and extra chopped jalapenos.

peace and warm soup to all

2 comments:

  1. lol! That is just too funny about your phone.

    That chilli looks really yummy, I think I might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of traditional chilis (I hate red beans), so I might have to give this a try - sounds great.

    And your story about Doug and the cell phone really cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete