Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November Thankfulness - Knitting

I know it's November, because I have been getting requests:  cabled hats, colorful mittens, and big chunky scarves.

So today, I am thankful for knitting -- the peace it brings me, the friendships it has allowed me and the pleasure my knitted efforts bring to others.

Currently, I have four projects on the needles:  a prototype chunky headband (that red blob in the basket), a Branching Out scarf made from local alpaca, a sweet lacy baby sweater in a soft green, and the previously mentioned big chunky scarf (the white blog in the basket).  There are several pattern variations out there for this seed stitch scarf, including this one knit end-to-end and sewn together, and this one  -- the Gap-tastic Cowl -- which one of our knitters shared last month.  I showed the pattern to Sarah, who immediately put in an order, and Maggie said she would like one, too.  And although you cast on 131 stitches and knit in the round, it's really a pretty fast knit with the Lion Brand Hometown chunky yarn on 13's.

Plus, I have taken the opportunity to practice my continental knitting.  I conquered the continental knit stitch a few years ago when I made myself learn two-handed color work, but have never perfected the continental purl.  I think after these two scarves, I'll have it.

As long as no one requests socks, it should be a pleasant knitting season!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment