Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Real Live Writer

I started the month of September with meeting a real live author.  As in an "I've-sold-17-million-books" author, Diana Gabaldon.

I ended September with meeting a real live war hero.  As in an "I-am-finally-writing-my-memoirs-and-want-you-to-help-me" hero, Chuck.

And I think the primary reason I am able to help Chuck write (and to finally make my own book a reality) is something Diana said at lunch that day:  "I always knew I had a book in me."

So did I.  But I was always afraid to say it out loud.

Last week I went looking for my college transcript.  I didn't find it, but in the middle of my search, in the middle of my closet, in the middle of a box full of stuff from grad school, I found a book I had started writing way back when.  Like 1983.  And you know what?  It's not awful.  Kind of a Jodi Picoult-ish story, full of angst and tensiosity (it's a family word).  Although I'm not too interested in re-visiting that story, it gives me another reason to keep writing -- if I did it once, I can certainly do it again.  Plus, I'm a lot smarter than I was when I was 24, thank goodness.

I am also not as afraid of rejection as I was when I was 24.  My writing was rejected a lot back then, and it did take the wind right out of my sails.  (Perhaps it was because I used too many cliches. !)

Maybe all this blogging has also given me a boost.  Although I don't have a lot of followers, I know several people who actually look forward to my next post.

And maybe it's that my friends are standing behind me, giving me a firm push.  Last January, at her dad's funeral my college BFF Ann introduced me as her friend "the writer."  It shocked me a bit, because I didn't think I had mentioned my current ambitions to her.  I had, however, helped her through English 101 and 102, written her a short story as a Christmas gift one year, and written a song for her wedding.  I guess that qualifies.

Last Christmas, my pal Joannie gave me a journal for writers.

I think my friends are expecting big things from me.  And you know how I hate to let my friends down.

So, it's time to throw off my namby-pamby attitude about my skills and hang out my writing shingle.  (And quit using idiomatic expressions.)

I am a writer.

In that box in my closet I also found my thesis prospectus, all my notes and thesis research, a pretty boring but mostly well-written (did I just say that again?) 20-page linguistic analysis of politeness in Jane Austen novels, and a peer review of another grad assistant named James.  It's a pretty stellar review, and I wish I could remember James, because according to me, he sounds like a heck of a guy.  I think I will google him, or look him up on facebook.

But I might wait until we get Chuck's book published, so I can tell James that I am a Real Live Writer.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. oooo!!!! I am SO excited to read this! YAY! Can't wait to see what you do! Go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very proud of you... saying positive things about yourself and everything! Good job!

    ReplyDelete