Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 Reading List

I didn't list this, but one of my goals for the new year is less TV, more reading. I'm not one of those English Majors who turns her nose up at TV -- I love TV. In fact, between Modern Family, Glee and Doc Martin, 2010 was a stellar TV year for me.

But I'm behind on my books; much of my 2010 reading time was consumed in the Outlander series. I am currently on #6 (Breath of Snow and Ashes) and need to finish it and #7 so Clay will stop nagging me to finish (every time he sees me reading, he asks, "What's going on?" and I have to stop so we can discuss it a bit -- he is anxious to talk about what has happened in Echo. I remind him it is not my fault I don't get reading time on international flights and in quiet hotel rooms he's just going to have to be patient) and before Sarah catches up (she's on #2).

I just spent the last hour pouring over 2010 Best Book lists, from the NYT to Amazon to Slate, et al, and have made a list of books I'd like to read this year, before the 2011 Best Book lists come out. Some of these appeared on almost every list; some are by favorite authors. Most are fiction, but there are a few NF's, as well:

The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks Rebecca Skloot (NF)
In the Company of Others Jan Karon (because I have read everything she has written, including the Mitford cookbook)
Room Emma Donoghue (this looks dark, but it's one of those "on every list" books)
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter Tom Franklin
The Kitchen House Kathleen Grissom
Wench Dolen Perkins-Valdez
Cleopatra: A Life Stacey Schiff (NF)
Unbroken Laura Hillenbrand
To the End of the Land David Grossman
The New Yorker Stories Ann Beattie (I don't know why I put this on the list -- I loved her work and was thrilled at the thought of meeting her when she came to speak at Akron U when I was in grad school. She was friends with my professor, who encouraged us to ask Beattie questions. When we did, she answered with a heavy sigh and a roll of her eyes -- either we were very stupid or she had somewhere else to be.)
I Still Dream About You Fannie Flagg (I got a free preview of this on my nook, and I am anxious to continue the story)
The Imperfectionists Tom Rachman
Great House Nicole Krauss
Bonhoeffer Eric Metaxas
and the Tana French novels, which look interesting

(There is a good compilation of Best Book lists here.)

Peace, and good reading this year.

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful list! I can see you really like reading books...

    ReplyDelete