Saturday, April 23, 2011

Good Friday Shrimp -- Too Good to be a Sacrifice!

A few years ago, I bought a copy of Paula Deen's magazine at the grocery checkout, and found a recipe for Margarita Shrimp Cocktail. I made it that year for the Good Friday Fish Fry/Christmas Tree Burning, and it was delicious, but I have misplaced the recipe -- and, a pretty thorough internet search turned up zilch. So, I gleaned what I liked from lots of different recipes, and came up with what I think is a keeper. I used smaller shrimp, so I think I am going to call this a salad -- good to eat with a fork or with chips.
Good Friday Shrimp Salad

I made this in two parts -- shrimp and salad -- but I think you could mix them all together from the start.

Shrimp:
2 pounds medium cooked shrimp (from Sam's), thawed
4 T. olive oil
1 cup lime juice
1 shot tequila (completely optional -- in fact, I think I will leave it out next year)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped fine
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 t. salt
Toss all together and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Salad:
6-8 roma tomatoes, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 jalapeño, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. lime juice
1 T. worchestershire sauce (I know -- weird ingredient, right? And I like to spell it that way, because that's how my dad pronounced it!)
Toss this all together and refrigerate, too.
Accompaniments:
2 avocados, coarsely diced and tossed with a little lime juice
wedges of lime
paprika
tortilla chips
To serve, drain the liquid off both shrimp and salad and toss all together. For a party at home, I'd line a platter with lettuce, then the shrimp; sprinkle with a little paprika for a nice color. Toss the avocado on top, and surround it with the lime wedges. Serve with chips along side. (For the fish fry, I took it in a 9x13, with the avocado on the side, since Clay can't stand avocados. I don't get it -- he'll eat almost anything in any country, but not avocados, which I am sure grow on the trees that line the streets of Heaven!)
Peace.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm making it as soon as I get a moment's peace. Love avocados and shrimp - especially together!

    Christie H (from MOP Monday nite chats)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgie, you won my giveaway! I can't find your email address on your profile, so could you please email me?

    ReplyDelete