Thursday, July 9, 2009

What's Up?

Still playing catch-up, but since I'm also preparing for a wedding this weekend and a big catering job/family party next weekend, things around the house just aren't getting done as quickly as I would like. But I am trying not to stress about it. So, instead of putting clothes away, I thought I would blog a little instead. (!)


In the reading arena, I should tell you about the three great books I recently finished. First, The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn. This was a vicarious read for me --if I wouldn't miss my family, going to culinary school in Paris would definitely be on my to-do-before-I'm-50 list. But I'm pretty sure that I would have run home to Indiana, weeping, after my first lesson. I was proud of her strength and sticktoittiveness. Plus, I love the recipes she included in the book -- her take on many of the French classics, which make them a little friendlier for a cook like me.

I have Julie and Julia and Service Included on reserve at the library -- I love reading food/restaurant books, whether novels or non-fiction, and I have yet to be disappointed with a book reviewed/suggested by Lynne on The Splendid Table.

The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schafer and Annie Barrows is just a sweet, sweet book. Sent me off to research the Channel Islands -- think we need to visit there someday. Read it soon.




And I plowed through Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I had seen the movie of his previous novel, Everything is Illuminated, and loved that, so I thought I would love this book, too. It was a good but sad story, put together in an interesting (and sometimes undecipherable) way. The main character, Oskar, reminds me alot of someone we know -- I need to give this book to Sharon and see if she agrees.

Projects? I've been knitting like a crazy woman to have something for Knit Night this evening, but mostly, I've been embroidering. Lately, it's storybook and nursery rhyme characters for a quilt I have planned (in my head), but I did finally get these dish towels finished:

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment