Saturday, January 3, 2015

Graduation Quilt #2 - Jacob

I am proud to announce that the second graduation quilt was completed and delivered within the actual year of Jacob's graduation.  Graduation Quilt #1 is here; Quilt #3 has been pieced and is ready to quilt; in the meantime, another sweet boy has graduated and I've got to get started on Graduation Quilt #4.  Yikes.  Whose bright idea was this?

One of the first quilts my Grandma Hunley sewed when she was a young girl was a Grandmother's Flower Garden (how appropriate), made up of hundreds of little hexagons cut and pieced by hand.  I loved that quilt, and one of these days, I want to make one in her honor.  But with a sewing machine and a rotary cutter!

For my start at hexagons, I thought I should try something a little easier; the key was the Riley Blake Hexi Half Ruler.  I just cut two (or more) hexi halves out of each fabric, then lined them all up and sewed them together in strips -- no fussy piecing involved at all.  A little squaring up and adding a narrow border made this very pretty, if I do say so myself.


 Here is a not-so-beautiful picture of the back.  (Yes, I was in a hurry.)  The important thing to note is the strip of guitar fabric -- Jacob is a guitar craftman.  The quilting was simply 1/4" from the seams, done with the walking foot.

Happy Graduation, Jacob.  Happy wedding, happy life with Lauren.

And peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment