Monday, February 17, 2014

Red Scarf Project - Volunteer Opportunities

I started this scarf for the Foster Care To Success Red Scarf Project:



Then I lost the pattern.
Then I tore back and figured out the pattern on my own.
Then I finished it too late to send in for this year's distribution.
Then I realized it is called "waffle stitch", not "box stitch" or "windowpane stitch", which are perfectly fine stitches, but not this one.

FCS sends Valentine's care packages to college students who were once in foster care.  Many times, these kids don't have any support system, and FCS helps to pay for their books, car repair, eyeglasses and other needs that college kids have.  And, they send red scarves in their care packages.   So sweet.


So I'm going to hold on to this scarf until September, then send it in for next Valentine's Day.  And I just might make another one.

If you like to knit or crochet scarves, this is the project for you.  You can do any pattern, any yarn (red, of course), about 60" long and 6-8" wide.  Then just mail it to the address in the link above between September 1 and December 15.

Another great project is the Scarf Project for Indiana Special Olympics 2015.  Again, not many requirements -- you can use any pattern you like in royal blue, hot red and bright yellow.   Although I prefer to work with wool, when I make things for kids, hospitals, Polar Plunges and the like, I think it's a good idea to use washable acrylics.

And here is the free pattern I finally re-located for this scarf.  Thanks, Lion Brand.  This scarf is soft, cushy and very warm, just like thermal underwear.  Or a waffle.  And just perfect for a college kid or Special Olympian.

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment