Friday, November 1, 2013

Sweet November

Photo by Dave Mellenbruch
So, you know how I love November.  It's the month in which my parents and my in-laws were married,  in which I was born, and in which Clay and I were married.  (How you like that fancy grammar?  I am slowly embracing the Oxford comma, too.) I am a huge fan of Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving (or as we call it around here, Brown Friday, celebrated with delicious leftovers, a crunchy hike at the refuge and some quality couch time), college football, and artsy/crafty pre-Christmas adventures.

And this year, I'll add one more thing to love about the month:  writing.  Although I've been working on my novels for a while, today marks the official start to my new career.  I have all the things I need:  a brain full of ideas, a newly-decorated writing room/guest room, the encouragement of my family and friends, and my sweet little dog on the floor right beside me.  (I do need a more comfortable desk chair. Or, I might just keep this wooden folding chair I'm sitting on right now -- the slats gouging my butt might be a motivator to complete the 1,667 words I want to write each day.)

And how do I know I need to crank out 1,667 words?  I signed up for NaNoWriMo -- National Novel Writing Month.  If I keep on track (which would be way out of the norm for me -- habit is not my strong suit), I should have 50,000 words completed by November 30.

What is my goal?  Of course, my dream would be to have a novel published by a major house, but more realistically, my first goal is just to get it done.  My second goal is to create something that people will enjoy reading.  My third goal is to blog every day this month, sharing my progress on my novel and other random stuff, as usual.  Away we go!

Peace,

PS  As many of you already know, Chuck's book is published!  You can find it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  He has signings in the Indianapolis area, and we hope to have one down here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment