Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Make-it-Do Crafting - Ipod Cozy

If you know us, you know that our family motto is

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Do without

Actually, that's Clay's motto.  He of the "Hey, that car only has 190,000 miles on it -- let's buy it for $1.00."

Me?  I hate that motto.  Ok, I accept the motto, and try to live by the motto, albeit rather grudgingly at times.

But after 30 years, it's beginning to sink in.  Let me explain.

This is my Ipod.  My beloved Ipod that my beloved Clay gave me even though I already had a smaller one (see, he doesn't always live by the motto, either.)  As you can see, it had a small accident:

I believe it took quite a tumble out of someone's car.  I'm not going to point any fingers here, but let's just say  I WILL not take responsiblity for this.  (Get it?  WILL?)

Anyway, it still works just fine.  So I decided to make a little cozy so it will look pretty again and hopefully survive another fall.


I used some wool felt (leftover from a big Santa project many years ago) and cut two rectangles a bit larger than the Ipod.  (No measurements here -- it was all trial and error!)  For a little more stability, I ironed on an inner facing.  Then I cut out for the screen, and buttonhole stitched around the inside.  I did a little fancy stitching on the back, as well:



 Then, I stitched the front and back together with more buttonhole stitching, leaving an opening for the charger/dock site and the headphone/car jack.


Not perfect, not quite square, but much nicer looking than the cracks.  Make it do.

And just a note on the book which I am listening to on my Ipod -- The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman.  Amazing.  I am so glad I have the audio version on this book -- the readers are so, so good and tug at your heart as you listen (as opposed to the last audio book I listened to -- Down River by John Hart.  The reader just wasn't right for that book, and actually pretty annoying, especially when he tried to do a woman's voice -- the whiney tone just about drove me crazy!  I didn't couldn't  finish listening, but Clay told me the end of the story because as you know, if we purchased it, he is going to use it up!  But he didn't care for that narrator, either.)  I do wish I had a hard (or nook) copy of The Dovekeepers, though -- it's one of those books that you want to go back, re-read a passage or do some more research before you continue.  Historically based in 70 C.E. (70 years after the birth of Christ), it's the story of Jewish women forced from Jerusalem into the desert.  I'm not yet halfway through but I am hooked; I have found myself driving around the block or sitting in the driveway listening for just a few more minutes!  

Peace,

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it works! :)

    If you follow my blog, I'll follow yours!

    http://writersoldier.blogspot.de/

    Casey Sean Harmon
    Author

    ReplyDelete