Monday, March 7, 2011

Not a Story, Just Some Books

I was working on a pithy little blog post about some topics I've been reading about on other blogs. However, I realized this evening that thinking about/writing about/arguing about volatile topics is not so good for my spirit. It absolutely amazes me that at one time I thought I would go into some sort of politics -- that is so, so far from where I am now, and I am thankful for that.

So, I'm going to blog, instead, about 2 books that I am currently loving. First, And I Shall Have some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Land for My Own Dirt Road by Margaret Roach. OK, I know I have never lived in the fast lane; I've never really had a career other than mom and professional volunteer. I guess I am living a little vicariously through this book; Margaret had a job much like the job I always thought I would have -- she started out writing for a newspaper. Of course, she ended up as the editorial director of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. (That's a hell of a word, isn't it?) But after 30+ years, she left the corporate world to live on her little farm in upstate New York.
She writes much like I would guess she talks to her friends, with lots of asides and quips and jabs at herself. I think what I like best about this book is that it doesn't pretend everything is perfect. So unlike everything that comes from MSO. So like everything that comes from me.

It's that lesson it's taken me so long to learn -- life doesn't have to be perfect to be good.


On Saturday, I had volunteered to help at a 4-H crafts workshop at the library -- a little cross-stitch, a little knitting, a little crochet. Linda, the dear woman who organized the afternoon, is a Knit Night friend, and I was pretty excited to help. She put together little kits of needles, hoops, yarn and floss, had stations all set up and ready and even had door prizes. Unfortunately, only three 4-Her's showed up for the workshop. I was one of five volunteers there, and after chatting with the other volunteers for a while (and realizing I wasn't really needed because the terrific Jr. Leader there is a better knitter than I am), I headed upstairs to find another sock book, since these socks of mine really aren't "soaring on two circular needles" like Cat Bordhi tells me they should. (I've got holes, just like every other time I have tried socks.) I didn't find another sock book to help me out, but I did find Gifted: Lovely Little Things to Knit and Crochet by Mags Kandis. She designed the Modern Quilt Wrap, a pattern I love, started, ripped out and have been planning to knit again for several years. This book is just beautiful, and is full of sweet little patterns I would like to try.

As for the sock, I'm resisting the urge to rip it out and use the yarn for a bunch of mitered squares. Even if a sock isn't perfect, can it still be good?

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment