Friday, July 11, 2008

LYS Visits

Sometimes, it takes a while for me to catch on to acronyms. You know, like ROFLMAO. DH, SO, DS, and DD. And my personal favorite, WTF?
When I first started reading knitting sites and blogs, I thought LYS stood for "little yarn store," but found out much later the L was for "local" -- actually, though, I like "little" better.


Monday, I went to Jeffersonville to get some supplies for our class reunion -- there is an amazing novelty/party store there -- Horner's. I found just what I needed, then had plenty of time to visit The Grinny Possum, a LYS I had heard about on Ravelry -- it was just down the street from Horner's. It is a very cute shop, with a cute name -- there are little stuffed possums all over the store. (You know, possums are pretty cute little animals, aren't they? Too bad we most often see them in the deceased and flattened state.) The owner is lovely, and she knit the whole time we were talking, and put her work down only to ring up my purchase. They had a Modern Quilt Wrap on display, made in the KSH; I am still in love with that pattern, and plan to re-start it soon. I did a little shopping for my secret pal:

Then, because Will was at driver's ed, I had time to stop in at Two Be Weavers in Salem, as well. This is my dream LYS, just like I would love to own. Perennial gardens outside, fireplace inside, and Julie, the most helpful owner. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but came away with a skein of Alp (which I had never even heard of before -- it's a series of novelty yarns in complementary colors tied end-to-end. I bought the pink and green, but saw a skein of red that my friend, Deb, would love), a skein of mohair and some cute needles. The Alp and mohair are turning into this shawl which I plan to give to my fiddle-playing pal, Ruby, and which I might take to the fair if I get it done by next Thursday:
it's a pretty quick knit on #15's.

I finished Alex's colorful pinwheel blanket on vacation, but I'm just not satisfied with the I-cord border -- I thought it would be a nice sturdy edge for a little boy's blanket, but it curls. And, because it is made with Red Heart acrylic, the curl won't block out. So, off it comes. At least I learned how to do an I-cord edging, right?

Peace.

PS -- If you have trouble with acronyms, too, this site is quite helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment