Monday, July 2, 2007

A First Post

I have surprised myself by starting this blog. Why am I doing this?

1) I really enjoy reading other knitting blogs; the patterns, tips and laughs I have found in them have been great.
2) Maybe it is time to share my own patterns and tips, and I hope I can make someone happy, in turn.
3) This is an opportunity to post pictures and get some feedback; this pink cardigan is really the inspiration for this blog:
A dear woman I have known for years, ME, came to Knit Night -- not to knit, but to show us this sweater. It was a 60th birthday gift from her pen pal in Norway; they have been pen pals for 45 years! The sweater is beautiful, but too big, and she needed some advice as to how to make it wearable. It is about 2" too big in the shoulders (I used some dowel rods in the picture to try to illustrate better) and the sleeves are too long. The sleeves are set in. The length is good, and it fits well around the bust and waist; her friend also sent a lovely pin for a closure (much nicer than the dpn I used here). Here is a picture of the detail around the neckline and placket:

There were all kinds of suggestions from the Knit Night group, ranging from frogging and re-knitting the bodice (eek!) to sending it back to Norway. (ME would like to wear it on a trip in a few weeks, so I don't have too much time.) I think I know what to do, but I am nervous about taking the sweater apart and putting it back together. I'll post the progress here.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. How's that sweater coming, Georgie? I'd love to hear about your progress!

    ReplyDelete