Monday, July 11, 2011

Fix-up Friday - On Monday

I blogged eight days in a row.   Eight!  But you knew that it would end, didn't you?  If I am anything, it is inconsistent.  But here is the post I had planned for Friday, before life got in the way.

This dresser came our way many, many years ago from Clay's mom and dad.  It's an inexpensive piece, but all wood; Dad had already re-finished it a couple of times, and when we got it, it was orange.  That 1970's burnt orange.  The dresser sat out in the garage for awhile until I painted it black and brought it inside.  I had some rub-on transfer rose motifs I rubbed on each drawer front, as rub-on transfers were all the rage back in the day.
I saw a map-decoupaged chest on The Nate Show, and decided that this dresser was the perfect candidate.  I just cleaned the drawer faces, removed the knobs, sanded down the transfers and cleaned again.  Then, I cut up a large paper map of the world (that I thought I got from barnesandnoble.com, but I can't find it on there anymore -- if you want to do this, I know you can find a good paper map at a teacher store).  For measuring, I used my quilt mat, quilt rulers and rotary cutter -- great time saver.  Then, I Mod Podged each map section onto a drawer, waited for it to dry and then screwed the knobs back on.

The top of the dresser was a bit messed up, as several years ago I had left a tinned candle burning, and the tin caught fire.  (Yes, I did learn a lesson that day -- no more tinned candles!)  So I decided to put a map on top, too -- you can't see it in this picture, but it's a map of Beijing, and Clay had circled some of the spots he was visiting on that trip.    I thought it would be fun to display some of the treasures Clay brings home from his trips, so there is a Japanese fan and a Chinese Buddha on the top -- those cute dolls from Belarus, however,  had to go back in the cabinet, as Clay was pretty sure some little boy we love would decide they needed to go in the super hero cubby or take a ride on a Gator.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment